Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Thanksgiving in China

Hey everyone, sorry it's been so long since my last post. As the semester winds down I find more and more stuff that I have to do that I should have done weeks ago. Funny how that always seems to happen :) 

Last week I had two Thanksgiving dinners. The first was held in a restaurant right next to our apartments. The Alliance reserved it for us and we all cooked our own food. They bought two huge turkeys for us but we made pies, cookies, potatoes, deviled eggs, and spaghetti. The restaurant also supplied us with Chinese food as well. We all thought it was quite an eclectic spread for Thanksgiving dinner. Our Chinese roommates thought the turkey tasted just like chicken. Most of them had never eaten turkey before so they were really excited to try it. They decided that although it tasted just like chicken they like chicken better. We finished eating around 6 and then we all departed to our rooms. Selina, Maggie, and I had made reservations at the Boxing Cat Brewery for 8:30. The food we made was, well...interesting, but we wanted to have real Thanksgiving food too. We left the apartments at 7:30 and it took us the whole hour to get to the restaurant. It was way outside the city and at first we couldn't believe that an ex-pat restaurant was all the way out there. However, after asking many people for directions, our cab driver finally got us there. The place was packed and the food was GREAT. They had everything from sweet potatoes, turkey, stuffing, and green bean casserole. Don't worry dad, it wasn't good as yours :) It was set up buffet style with free flow wine and beer. We got there at 8:30 and stayed until 1:30. During that time we fulfilled our obligations to eat way more than necessary and we had a couple of bottles of wine... o.k. so maybe we had more than a couple :)

After we returned to the apartments I video chatted back to my house and I got to see my dogs!!!!!!! Oh, and it was nice seeing the family too ;) Thanksgiving is the first time that I have felt a twinge of homesickness since we got here. Seeing everyone on ichat helped a lot with that though and now I find myself reluctant to leave in the coming weeks. Like I said before, when we first got here it seemed like we had so much time and now we have 3 weeks left! Instead of making my list smaller I keep adding more and more things to my To Do List. These last few weeks are going to be a scramble!!!

No comments: